No Post Office
The post office at Strickler was established in 1878 and closed in
1943. Actually a post office called Greenville was opened in 1854 in
the same community now known as Strickler, and closed about 1874. The
first community in the area was known as Fall Creek, started in 1830.
A number of Strickler family members are known from the area by names
in the Fall Creek Cemetery, south of Strickler. Benjamin and Mary
(Newman) Strickler of Tennessee, settled there in 1837, built a store
and likely a blacksmith shop.
A Flashback article, in February 1955, tells of a pottery in Strickler
operated by William S Crawley. The pottery produced whiskey jugs,
crocks, vases and grease lamps. The pottery operation closed apparently
Strickler was a flag stop on the Butterfield Stage Line from 1857 to
1861, meaning the stage stopped if there was mail to deliver or pick up.
Washington County Postoffices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by
Deane Carter, published 1976 by Washington Co Historical Society
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Strickler