207 West Center Street
Fayetteville AR 72701
David Walker was born in Kentucky and arrived in Fayetteville in late
1830, broke and needing work. He was trained in Law and soon began his
Arkansas law career with the Crawford County Circuit. The year 1832
marked the first of a string of elective offices including prosecuting
attorney, territorial legislature, constitutional convention, state
senator, and Arkansas Supreme Court Justice. Walker built the two story
brick house at 207 west Center Street in 1847. He later sold the house
to prominent merchant Stephen K Stone. During the Civil War, the house
was struck by Confederate cannon fire while the Stone family lived there.
A grandson of Stephen Stone, nationally known architect Edward D Stone,
bought the property and began restoration of the house in the early
A historical marker was placed at the house by Washington County
Historical Society in 1965. The house presently contains law and other
Washington County History Shiloh Museum 1989
The Old Stone House Flashback 1972
To return to Fayetteville Detail Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Stone-Walker House.