5480 E Mission
Fayetteville AR 72701
The known history of this area starts in approximately 1842. By the
Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, this land of 160 acres was in a tract
issued to a Choctaw man, Ah-To-Chubee. After his death, the land was
deposited in the general land office in Fayetteville.
Michael Son was born in Virginia and his wife Nancy (born in South
Carolina) in the late 1770's. They, and other Son family members
migrated to NW Arkansas via Kentucky and Missouri, and were issued a
patent to 40 acres of the land in 1848. This community is called
"Son's Chapel" after the two brothers: Michael & Abram Son, who
settled here, in what was wooded farmland. The Son's built a home and
in 1852, being good community citizens, conveyed about 2 acres of land,
for $2, to the Methodist Protestant Church, for a cemetery and church
yard. A log chapel, called "Son's Chapel", was built on the north end
of the cemetery and was used for both church
activities and a community school. Three different denominations held
services there in the early days as well as various community groups
who also used the building.
When the small log building could no longer serve the needs of a
growing farm community, a frame school house was built across the road
(behind the current chapel) and discussion started about how a
community center could be built.
The Rural Builders Association, formed in 1922, still supports the
care and maintenance of the building through fund raising efforts.
Son's Chapel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as
of 2006. The bronze plaque is mounted outside the front door.
The Son's Chapel Cemetery across the street has acquired several more
tracts of land to attain its present size and is one of the oldest
cemeteries in the county. While no "famous" people are buried there,
there are many old pioneer graves, and some unmarked graves, whether
pauper, slave or Indian. It is still an active cemetery with its own
Board of Trustees, who holds an annual workday and Memorial Service on
Memorial Day week-end. Nancy Son, wife of Michael Son is the only Son
buried there. Michael Son is buried with his brother in Missouri.
In the mid 19th Century, the City of Fayetteville built the County
Poor Farm adjacent to the Cemetery and most probably buried some
indigents in unmarked graves. The "Poor Farm" was here until relocated
to Mt. Comfort in the 1880's.
The History of Son's Chapel by Trisha Beland, presented to WCHS in 2007
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Son's Chapel -->