MORROW
17149 Hale Mountain Road

Morrow AR 72749


The community of Morrow was founded by George Morrow from South Carolina. He married Elizabeth Buchanan and they are listed as Washington County residents in the 1830 census. In 1832 George Morrow presented himself to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and was ordained in 1846. He died in 1892. The Morrow post office was opened in 1883.

George Wilson (Dick) Morrow, son of George and Elizabeth received a good education. He enlisted in the 34th Arkansas Infantry of the Confederate Army and took part in the Battle of Prairie Grove. Legends say that some of the planning by Condfederate officers took place in the Morrow home. "Dick" and other family descendants, lived in the community bearing their name, following the War, farming, teaching school and serving in other civil capacities through at least the 1970's.

Bibliography:
Washington County Postoffices and Postmasters 1829-1976 by Deane Carter, published 1976 by Washington Co Historical Society
A Short History of Morrow by Conrad Russell Flashback August 1978



To return to Washington County Map,click here!

Click here for a map to Morrow