900 Old Wire Road
Springdale AR 72764
John Fitzgerald Sr is said to have come to the Lowell area in 1825.
When Washington County was first formed, it included all the areas of
Benton County as well as part of Madison and Carroll counties. When the
area was officially surveyed by the United States in 1834, only the farm
of James Fitzgerald, son of John was noted. The Fitzgeralds owned large
amounts of land along the present County border between Washington and
Benton County from the 1830's to at least the Civil War.
Fitzgerald's Station is found today just northeast of the cemetery at
the corner of Old Wire Road and Dodd Street. The old barn there was
built by Butterfield Stage Lines in 1858. John and Mary Fitzgerald
operated an inn there at the time.
The cemetery contains a small fenced area with several Fitzgerald
grave markers within it. Other Fitzgerald markers are also found around
the fenced area. The cemetery is still active as a number of markers are
found throughout the plot.
Some of the older Fitzgerald markers are as shown from the
FITZGERALD, John 1838-1894(?)
FITZGERALD, John, Sr. 1783-1875
FITZGERALD, Joshua L. 1828-1891
FITZGERALD, Mary Anne Couch 1794-1860
FITZGERALD, Nancy A. Baker 1829-1892
FITZGERALD, Nettie April 13, 1880-August 6, 1892
FITZGERALD, Olive M. September 28, 1838-August 10, 1923
History of Washington County Published by Shiloh Museum 1989
Springdale The Courage of Shiloh by Velda Brotherton, Making of America
To return to Springdale Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Fitzgerald Cemetery