NO POST OFFICE
The Carter's Store post office was established 1 July, 1875. Deane Carter
places it in s8, T14N, R29W but a hand drawn map by Frank M. McConnell
puts the location in s34, T15N, R29W. The latter location is believed
to be correct as information in the Shiloh Museum Washington County
History book mentions moving Dr.John Carter's office (pictured above at
Shiloh Museum) from old Carter's Store on Middle Fork of White River.
The first location would place it a few miles west of the Middle Fork.
The Carter's Store post office was later called Carter Store in 1892,
Carter in 1900 and finally Hicks in 1930 before it was closed in 1953.
A Hicks family lived in the Carter house and presumably provided the
later name. Mrs.Hicks was sister to Mrs. John Carter.
Dr. George W. and Nancy Carter came to Washington County with their
family in 1851 and he practiced medicine until his death in 1875. Their son,
Dr. John Calhoun Carter was probably born in 1828 while his parents were
living in Tennessee. He came to Washington County in 1851 and, as did
many others from this area, went to California for the Gold Rush.
Dr.John Carter did not enlist during the Civil War, persuaded by his
neighbors that he was needed as doctor in the area. Like many others,
he was harrassed by bushwhackers and is said to have been close to being
hanged at one time. He lived in Fayetteville for some time during the War.
Dr.John was married to Hala Minerva Jones.
After the Civil War Dr. John Carter acquired considerable land in the Middle
Fork valley and opened a store and his doctor's office. His office was
built above a spring house which was on the east bank of the Middle Fork,
and across the road from his store. The spring house building was moved
and reconstructed at Shiloh Museum in Springdale.
Two other sons of Dr. George W. Carter were also doctors. Dr.Jourdain
(Jerd) Hasty Carter was the 9th child of George W and Nancy Carter.
Dr. George Washington Carter was only child of Dr. George W. and his
second wife, Nancy Arnold and was born in 1852 near Durham. He learned
his medicine from his father and brothers. His son, Dilford, also became
a doctor but apparently took the State medical exam, for which he reported
his father's help was most useful to him.
Velda Brotherton says there may have been a store there before Dr. Carter's
but the first post office was called Carter's Store. There was also at
least a blacksmith shop operated by Ben Johnson.
Washington County Postmasters and Postoffices 1829-1976 by Deane G.
Carter publ. by Washington County Historical Society
The Doctors Carter of Washington County, Arkansas by Marian Carter
Ledgerwood Flashback July 1965
Washington County History by Shiloh Museum 1989
Middle Fork Valley by Frank M. McConnell Flashback August 1961
Flashback Winter 2003
The Boston Mountains Lost in the Ozarks by Velda Brotherton
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Carter's Store/Hicks