14219 College, WC 4762
Cane Hill AR 72717
Lemke called Cane Hill one of our County's most romantic spots. Most
certainly it is one of our most historic spots. Not only was it one
of the first settlements after Lovely County was formed in 1827, but it
also witnessed the establishment of one of the State's first colleges.
It had several of our County's early mills. It was the site
of a Civil War battle on November 28, 1862. It had a noted early
day pottery. It was the center of Cumberland Presbyterian activities from
the earliest times, an influence that spread all over the country. The first
Sunday School in Arkansas was established here in 1828. In fact, the
first public school and library in the State were also in Cane Hill.
Cane Hill College, twice destroyed by fire and twice rebuilt, made
this community the cultural center of a wide area. The names of
it's residents were important County-wide in ante-bellum days, names like
Buchanan, Carnahan, McClellan, Bean, Pyeatt, Mitchell, and Earle.
Canehill has been the official name of the post office since 1901.
The first post office called Cane Hill, was established in 1829.
The area now known as Cane Hill was originally three rural communities.
The northernmost section was the original site of the Cane Hill post
office and was later known as White Church. The site of the current
Canehill post office was also known at various times as Boonsboro,
Boonsborough, and Steam Mill. The southernmost community, in present-day
Clyde, was known as Russellville. None of these communities was ever
Grist mills and saw mills played an important part on the early
history of Washington County. The first mill of record near Cane Hill
is said to have been built by Mark Bean between Cane Hill and Lincoln
at Bean's Spring. Lemke says this mill may exist only in legend. John
Rankin Pyeatt did build a mill about a mill north of Cane Hill on land
he bought in 1838. William Moore married Pyeatt's daughter and the
mill became known as the Moore-Pyeatt Mill. It operated during the
Civil War likely to the benefit of whichever army was in the area at
the time. After that War, Moore replaced the mill machinery, bringing
new works from Cincinnati,Ohio. After Pyeatt died in 1895, Moore
operated the mill as before but when his daughter married Walter
Buchannan they became partners in the mill. The Moore-Buchannan Mill
was moved to about a mile south of Cane Hill, along highway 45,
where the old water wheel stands still today. Lemke reported the mill
remained in operation until the 1930's.
Cane Hill once boasted newspapers, hotels, mills, colleges,
a Masonic Lodge and a bank, but still offers plenty of historic attractions
that no one interested in area history should miss. In the center of the
village is the marker erected by the Arkansas Centennial Commission
in commemoration of old Cane Hill College. The campus was atop the hill
a hundred yards to the west and the 1874 brick building remains. Down
highway 45, and Jordan Creek, to the
west, the visitor will find the ruins of the old mill- its 34-foot
overshot wheel and the rebuilt foundation walls. Several houses as well
as the mill and the cemetery are on the National Register of Historic
Today, Cane Hill celebrates its early days with a festival in September
with music, crafts and sorghum cane syrup making. A museum operates in
the old college building.
The Old Mill at Cane Hill by W J Lemke Flashback November 1961
Historic Washington County by W J Lemke Washington County Historical
The Encyclopedia of Arkansas, Cane Hill(Washington County) by Julanne
To return to Washington County Map,click here!
Click here for a map to Cane Hill